[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Feb 29 03:41:04 PST 2012

this was awesome. I was clearly coming at it from a private research university perspective. but also, the local state college has been doing the real estate "expansion" thing, so maybe that isn't just private unis. At any rate, they went on a headlong rush into expanding, buying property and building, not because there was a great demand for the expansion but as investment - they'd tap into the equity.

and you are sooooo right about the competition for grant $. you remind me that this was the big thing when I was at Hobart and Colgate. Huge pressure to publish, do research, get grants that hadn't historically been there. The funny thing is, during all the seminars, forums and debates on what was happening as the research university model increasingly pressed on liberal arts and teaching colleges, where the pressure hadn't been, no one ever talked about it from this angle.