[lbo-talk] Leo Strauss on Plato

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Feb 29 16:48:18 PST 2012

saul alinksy's industrial areas foundation used thucydides' account of the encounter between melians and athenians as a dramatic device to teach community organizers about power. when the social justice activists in the room inevitably sided with the melians, they would come up with arguments that they might have advanced or simply argued that the melians were in the right and that it was better to lose your life for the right cause than to concede. better to martyr yourself.

alinsky's used this to shock them by telling them that they were wedded to a victim mentality, refusing to involve themselves in messy issues of power, preferring purity to nitty gritty politics. this inevitably outraged social justice activists who were wedded to the notion that the Truth can only be grasped by the oppressed - the Subject of History. according to my mentor, it would take a week to ten days working through this exercise for social justice activists to get over this notion, get over their shock and anger at his position.

alinksy would have none of this romanticism, especially romanticization of the oppressed - which was why he antagonized new leftists. He argued that victimizing the poor, insisting that we remain pure and wash our hands of power/politics was a paralyzing dead end. the poor, he said, should be organized to take power, which would necessarily mean making the kinds of compromises - dealing with what he called "the world as it is". the poor needed to take power and revolt against what he called welfare colonialism.

for alinsky, the world was always about power and conflict. social justice folks, with their romanitic notions of truth located in a subject of history ostensibly excluded from power, were - basically - afraid of power, people who used this as an excuse to, ultimately, do nothing.