[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 10:57:36 PST 2012

Marvin wrote:

> Actually, I'd be surprised if most of those who participated
> in the Occupys, apart from the young anarchists and aging
> Marxists, weren't Democrats who'll vote for Obama as the
> lesser evil come November. That'd certainly be true of trade
> unionists who protested against the anti-labour legislation
> and spending cuts in the Midwest and who began joining the
> Occupy movement in greater numbers. Is this impression
> from the outside correct?

Indeed. Just see this recent tweet from Ellen Barkin, the actor, who was shoved to the ground by NYPD cops last night when trying to help a young girl who happened to be near Liberty Square during the temporary re-occupation of the place:

> EllenBarkin Ellen Barkin
> “@MimiTorch: this will be nothing if Obama loses the election.
> A police state will be just around the corner.” No shit.#Terrified

My impression is that this kind of political attitude is representative of the base of the Occupy movement, even if not necessarily of the "natural" leaders that are most involved in it.

Happy birthday to Ivan and happy 2012 everyone!