[lbo-talk] A Gathering Storm Over ‘Right to Work’ in Indiana

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:00:03 PST 2012

On 2012-01-04, at 12:49 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> [WS:] It looks like there will be no unions in the the Etats Unis in
> our lifetime is this trend continues.
>
> Which prompts me to revisit our earlier discussion than a different
> strategy than what the unions have been thus far using is needed.

Please, nooooo... :)

You're nothing if not persistent, Woj, and your intentions are laudable, so by all means "strategize". But prepare to be disappointed; there isn't any scheme you could devise that unionists in many countries over many generations haven't considered and tried. There's more than a little hubris in thinking those of us who are outside these organizations and have little understanding of their operating environment can cure what ails them. If you were hawking pills, it would be called quackery. Unions grow in certain conditions, and decline in others, and right now conditions are not favourable for union growth in the US, Europe, and Japan, where union density and strike activity has been falling for decades. Instead of recycling our earlier discussion here, why not just email Richard Trumka with your idea of unions transforming themselves into capitalist enterprises. He might well reply that it's easier to buy shares in Walmart than try to displace it with a start-up funded by union dues, but at least you'll have caught his attention.