[lbo-talk] Indefinite Detentions in the NDAA Don’t Exactly Betray George Washington’s Values /misunderstanding

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:00:46 PST 2012

On 2012-01-06, at 9:30 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

>> is there a difference between being on Fox and being
>> on the outlets mentioned?
>
> It's a question of kashrut. One must not be defiled.

Actually, calling for a boycott, like calling a strike or demonstration, is a tactical rather than principled question. There was, for example, a boycott against the Hearst papers in the 30's initiated by the labour movement which attracted widespread support. Of course, Hearst did not open his columns to his left-wing critics. If he had, I doubt a boycott would have been called. I think Doug made the right decision in choosing to respect a boycott of the station being urged on him by Iranian leftists. I think he'd be making an equally correct decision in using Fox News as a platform if it gives him the opportunity since, AFAIK, no unions or progressive organizations have as yet called for a boycott of the network.