[lbo-talk] The Myth of Japan’s Failure - NYTimes.com

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jan 9 06:09:37 PST 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Wojtek S wrote:
> [WS:] This is indeed an excellent point worth repeating over an over
> again. If one were a casual observer of everyday life in different
> countries one would likely conclude that the Etats Unis is a
> second-world country - a few notches above the third world, but also a
> notch or two below Western Europe or Japan. One would have to read
> newspapers to learn that the Etats Unis is a superpower.

What’s Etats Unis? United States in Latin? Assuming that…

I learnt the above when I first landed in the USA, in Philadelphia. A much different experience than what the movies had prepared me for :-).

Regarding Japan, if the article’s claim is correct, could the underlying reason be that some economic indicators (growth of the economy) might contradict others (unemployment) in describing the health of the economy, and this might be a sign of a good thing in a political system? i.e., only in the USA where govt has been shackled to the point of not even being the last resort for citizens, do these numbers point to the same thing?

—ravi