[lbo-talk] The Myth of Japan’s Failure - NYTimes.com

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:53:59 PST 2012

Nathan: "that is a result of the planned suburbanization of the gastarbeiter and immigrant populations away from the urbanized population? "

[WS:] Surely, those exist, but they are a notch or two above the the slums of Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia or Detroit. They still get public services and infrastructure similar to those that "better" quarters have. And this is not just my perception. I spoke to many visiting scholars from Europe and Asia at JHU and they tend to view the contrast in even starker terms. It is usually me who is telling them that things in Baltimore are not as bad as they look.

As I said time and again (repeating the point made by Galbraith, to be sure) - it is the public expenditures that makes the big difference for the otherwise subordinate classes.

Wojtek