[lbo-talk] Defense Sec Penetta say Iran is not developing nuclear weapons

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:29:39 PST 2012

Secretary Of Defense Leon Panetta Says Iran Is NOT Developing Nuclear Weapons http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/09/secretary-of-defense-leon-panetta-says-iran-is-not-developing-nuclear-weapons-video

(VIDEO) January 9, 2012 By Stephen D. Foster Jr.

Tensions between the United States and Iran continue to rise. Republicans have time and time again accused Iran of building an atomic bomb, leading many Republican Presidential candidates to promise that they will strike Iran upon assuming the Presidency. This talk of war with Iran comes just a month after America officially ended the war against Iraq. But during an appearance on Face the Nation on CBS, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta stated that Iran is NOT building a nuclear weapon.

The former CIA Director also said that Iran is pursuing a “nuclear capability” which would be used to generate energy like Iran has consistently stated over the years.

“I think the pressure of the sanctions, the diplomatic pressures from everywhere, Europe, the United States, elsewhere, it’s working to put pressure on them, to make them understand that they cannot continue to do what they’re doing. Are they trying to develop a nuclear weapon? No. But we know that they’re trying to develop a nuclear capability, and that’s what concerns us. And our red line to Iran is, do not develop a nuclear weapon. That’s a red line for us.”

Here’s the video:

The war hawks on the right-wing and the military contractors are salivating for a war with Iran. Such a war would cost trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives. The American economy cannot withstand a third war. A war with Iran would be bigger than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. I believe Panetta when he says Iran isn’t working on a nuclear weapon. He was at the top of the intelligence food chain while Director of the CIA and he is now the top man in the Pentagon. If anybody is going to know what Iran is doing, it’s him. And that should be good enough for anyone.