[lbo-talk] structural racism/sexism

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 00:37:24 PST 2012

My take on structural discrimination is quite simple

We don't have to see a man beating up on a woman on every street corner as evidence of a male-dominated oppressive system

The same may be said about explicit pronouncements and acts on exploiting workers, or people with disabilities.

In defence of the US dominance of the World Bank (I charged that they were dominating policies in the institution) a woman (US citizen) said it was not possible, because "Americans are in the minority" in the organisation. My response was this: "That's like saying males are in the minority in the world, ergo they have no influence"

Ismail Lagardien

Nihil humani a me alienum puto