[lbo-talk] sabbaticals for all

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 11 03:46:12 PST 2012

At 11:38 PM 1/10/2012, Gar Lipow wrote:
>Year ago, I heard of a concept that was essentially sabbaticals for
>all; everybody gets one year in seven off as paid leave. Now I can't
>find any source for it. I'm sure Tom Walker or Eugene Coyle or one of
>the many people who pay concentrate on reducing working time must be
>familiar with it. Not incompatible with a shorter work week, since
>the sabbatical by itself only reduces a 40 hour week to a bit over 34
>hours averaged over seven years. Still plenty of room to reduce the
>length of the workweek as well. Anyway I'd be curious as to where the
>idea originated, and who has been advocating for it in the last few
>decades.

William Bridges writes about it in a book called, JobShift: How to Prosper in a Workplace Without Jobs. Yeah. I know. I read it because it was being used by the job transition consulting agency and the unemployed white collar workers I was studying for my fellowship. Bridges is actually pretty good with the footnotes, so I'm guessing that you can trace the refs back to more sources. I'd also just email him and ask.

shag