[lbo-talk] Dismal science on education, again

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:37:26 PST 2012

Teaching is impossible to measure. I have students who will tell you that I am the best teacher in the world. Others will say I am the worst. Different teaching styles connect with different people. Besides, most students will have a different idea about what constitutes good teaching years after they graduate.

Tests are an even less accurate measurement of teaching.

I have colleagues that are poor teachers, but others may make their evaluations based on other irrelevant factors, such as gender, sexual preferences, race, religion or other even weirder grounds.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com