[lbo-talk] Good article on education

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:09:59 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Jeffrey fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2012, at 2:09 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Look here
> >

> http://www.thenation.com/article/165575/why-congress-redlining-our-schools?page=0,0
> >
> > Joanna
>
> I wonder what we all think about those Common Core standards the author
> references at the end, but otherwise there is much to like in this.

The common core standards in math and reading being imposed on my fourth grader's class have completely squeezed out science and social studies and have been implemented in such a hyperformulaic fashion as to make the students' progression through the benchmarks the quintessence of boredom and frustration.

There are good arguments to be made for national curricular standards, I think, but as before the folks pushing for such standards are in the main simultaneously pushing the worst kinds of pedagogy and most iniquitous modes of teacher/learning assessment.

The fourth grader in the family - who used to love to go to school - is increasingly disaffected w/r/t the classroom (not to mention the increasing dickishness of his fellow athletes) and the other - the first grader - is sufficiently bored as to increasingly act out... but at least the school is generating the scores necessary to indicate that it has been properly reformed (which is, of course, not to say that there was any indication that it needed reforming before any of this crap was imposed.)

PS: Did I say that the teachers hate this, too?