[lbo-talk] United Airlines' New Frontier in Ripoffs (Post 1)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 14 08:42:33 PST 2012

You don't know about Cigna :-)

But really it isn't Cigna; they're just making money. It's really about the State of Illinois trimming on its state employee medical insurance.

But really the "State" is an abstraction here & the politicians are just being what they are in the fully developed neolib capitalist era. So for agitational purposes I'll be going after the pols. Soon. I hope. But current faculty at Isu seems only concered to announce pubs, congratulate each other, & just once posted a coule indignant posts on plans for even more testing with private grading firm making money. That died off.

[I wrote to here at qround midnight, then arm begin to hurt I grew sleepy]

PARAGRAPH TWO

There are 2 kinds of "class struggle," not necessarily related.

One: The struggle for miminally decdnt living conditios under capitalism. This is the subject of Wages Price & profit. The crucial thing is that the abstract capitalist as the abstract capitalist will always push waages down if he can. Wages here stands for all conditions - e.g. social security. He can NOT do otherwise. Calling him names is a joke. This is all mostly pretty visible. So the answer to the question of who is to blame for UA fucking over Micdhael is THE U.S. WORKING CLASS. They did not fight back in 1975. This battle has to be fought. And this class struggle is the health of capitalism; lack of it capitalist malaise. And fighting it vigorously is the precondition for the other kind.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of michael perelman Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:54 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] United Airlines' New Frontier in Ripoffs

I had about $500 worth of electronics gear stolen from my luggage in June. I spent several hours figuring out how to download the claim forms. After I filled them out, I got a brief note indicating that they received my submission. Then I heard nothing. I spent many hours -- my guess is more than 20, mostly spent on wait times -- trying to contact somebody. I could get to an Indian call center, which could not give me any information on what to do. After several months, I was informed that I had not included the tag from my baggage, which I did. I resent it. Many weeks later, I learned that I never sent it according to their records. After several iterations, I learned that my claim was denied because the company never received the tags. A lawyer friend sent a letter to United. Now in January, I received a letter informing me that United does not accept responsibility for lost electronics.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901