[lbo-talk] More on that Greek Passage

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 13:23:30 PST 2012

I asked a friend in Cyprus to translate the passage on the banner held up in the picture. It sparked an exchange with a third person. The following was cut and paste from our comms

This is my friend the author's comment btw. He says that the photo is from the Dekemvriana ( roughly translated as the December events ) of 1944 and the protest of EAM ( Greek left) in front of the Parliament buildings. The photo comes from the book Greece of 1944 by Dmitri Kessel ( spl ?) The term refers to Dekemvriana a series of armed conflicts that took place in Athens in December 1944 - January 1945, between the forces of leftist organizations ( EAM - ELAS - KKE ) and the British Government and forces belonging to the rest of the political spectrum, from social democracy to the security battalions. The commencement, on December 3 1944 , was marked by the shootings by Greek Government and English forces of protesters against the ultimatum of British General Scobie for unilateral disarmament of leftist guerrilla groups, resulting in the deaths of 28 demonstrators and wounding 148.

Ismail Lagardien

Nihil humani a me alienum puto