[lbo-talk] the Grundrisse and credit.

nathan tankus somekindofheterodox at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 22:40:20 PST 2012

I forwarded my initial message in this thread to Graeber in addition to Doug's initial response and asked him what his thoughts were on this topic. This is what his response was. He kindly allowed me to forward it here- with a note to explain the context and thank Doug being so nice to him.

it strikes me that this is what one would say from a static structural reading of Marx - that is, assume a total system modeled on industrial capitalism as it existed in Marx's Europe in the mid-19th century, contrast it with "past ages" each taken as a whole... But what I was trying to do in my book was take a more historical account, and from that perspective, there's a real problem. As I put it in the book:

"Here we come face to face with a peculiar paradox. It would seem that almost all elements of financial apparatus that we've come to associate with capitalism-central banks, bond markets, short­ selling, brokerage houses, speculative bubbles, securization, annuities­ came into being not only before the science of economics (which is per­ haps not too surprising), but also before the rise of factories, and wage labor itself."

It struck me that this was the challenge I was throwing out to Marxist theorists. I don't think Marxist theorists are beyond answering it, not by any means, but it's an interesting question and deserves addressing. A mere restatement of orthodoxy such as below doesn't seem to be much help David