[lbo-talk] More on that Greek Passage

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 01:41:04 PST 2012

Ismail, Michael – that is a lot of help – many thanks

‘any good books on this period in English?’

I am just writing about it now

The best books that I know of are

Dominique Eudes, The Kapetanios - partisans and civil war in Greece, 1943-1949, New York, Monthly Review 1972

Constantine Tsoucalas, The Greek Tragedy, Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1969

Mark Mazower, Inside Hitler’s Greece, New Haven, Yale Nota Bene, 2001

Also, there is

Basil Davidson, Special Operations Europe: Scenes from the anti-Nazi War, Newton Abbot, Readers Union, 1981

where the one-time SOE operative spills the truth from the inside about what they were up to

And there is also the comprehensive account of the military struggle from the leader of the Greek liberation army

Stefanos Sarafis, Greek Resistance Army, London, Merlin Press, 1980

but if there are any others I’ve missed, please let me know, listers (or ‘lobsters’ – what is the collective noun for LBOsters?)