[lbo-talk] More on Greek translation

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 02:11:49 PST 2012

Yes, found Dmitri Kessel’s picture now. It was published in Life 25 December 1944. The caption says that ‘Blood of the dead was used to letter this sign’ – which I think is a sub-editors misreading, the banner is blood-stained. It goes on to say that it is a funeral march on Dec 4th for the casualties on University Street – a previous massacre by British troops. Life’s translation (which I think must have been read over the phone because of the homophonic error): ‘When the people find themselves before the danger of tyranny, they choose either change [should be chains?] or the arms of EAM’ – EAM being the Greek liberation army

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uUEEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=life+magazine++december+25+1944&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xaMST-zyB4Og8QPa-aXXAw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=kessel&f=true