[lbo-talk] the Grundrisse and credit.

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jan 15 05:24:46 PST 2012

I read a few chapters into Graeber and then got sidetracked to books that were due back to the library, whereas I purchased Graeber. I had to laugh when we visited the Smithsonian in DC. There was an exhibit on the history of money and, precisely!, you could read the exhibit as a struggle with the desire to tell the story of money as one we move from barter to increasing levels of abstraction but with an historical record that makes representation of that linear narrative impossible. The exhibit compromises by refuses to plot a linear timeline but then positions items in a way that allows the viewer to read his as a movement from barter to greater levels of abstraction.

Noticing this, I started explaining all this and an audience from Denmark gathered 'round and asked questions. I couldn't answer a whole lot, only to point them at Graeber's book.