[lbo-talk] Abramovich, Berezovsky and the real story of Russia's lost billions

Ira Glazer ira.glazer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:51:21 PST 2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/16/abramovich-berezovsky-story-russia-lost-billions

...the sheer scale of the losses to the Russian people – in shady deals and contracts, and lost productivity, jobs, and income – is only now becoming clear. My own estimate is that over $500bn has been effectively stolen from the Russian people between 2003-2011; economists I speak to in Moscow suggest it could be more. Russia's struggling citizens have every right to reclaim these funds, and as awareness of this vast sum spreads across the country, so too will intolerance of it. When demonstrations broke out in Moscow before Christmas, it was noticeable how many of the protesters were demanding their money back from the Kremlin...