[lbo-talk] the Grundrisse and credit.

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jan 17 12:06:44 PST 2012

Angelus: <> <> P.S. I'm worried that shag carpet bomb might consider this a wanky <> esoteric discussion with no bearing upon concrete political work, so <> let me say that attendance numbers for the most recent Vol. I class at <> the RLS in Berlin were so big that it had to be split up into four <> (five?) smaller groups.  Young people with radical inclinations want <> to read _Capital_, and I have the sense that this will continue as the <> global revolt started in Wisconsin-Greece-Egypt-Wall Street will <> deepen and expand.

LOL

i love wanky esoteric debates, personally. and, personally, I think there's always a connection to political practice. I was just wondering if anyone else happened to have made such a connection. It often doesn't get discussed.

Doug made a claim in that direction when he accuses Graeber of showing anarchist bias where the enemy becomes the state. I don't know enough about this debate to know if he's correct or not, but I use it as illustration.

I guess it reminds me a bit of the debates over value theory. I never really understood why it mattered and no one, as yet, has ever explained why it might make a difference to how we fight capitalism.

As another debate, there's a seemingly wanky debate over productive/unproductive labor. I've seen it argued that the action is in productive labor, so we shouldn't worry about unionizing sex workers since they engage in reproductive labor. similar debates have taken place here, long ago, over whether we should spend much energy on unionizing police or would we be better served making linkages with members of the military. Those kinds of practical questions can be traced to rather wonky discussion of what Marx meant by reproductive labor or his ideas about how various classes interacted (say in 18th Brumaire) etc.

that's what I'm getting at. I think it's very likely that there is a connection to theory, I just haven't seen anything that helps me understand yet.