[lbo-talk] the Grundrisse and credit

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jan 17 12:23:07 PST 2012

what would happen if you simply wiped away debt. wasn't there some earlier discussion, early on in OWSNYC, where Jordan started fantasizing about what it would be like if you had a debt forgiveness day.

I only vaguely recall details but I sort of remember Doug replying to say "now you're talking" when Jordan explained who would "pay" for it.

but more intriguingly, I do want to know because it came up as dinner party conversation about 8 weeks ago. No one being versed in economic theory could come up with a good reason why anything would go to shit.

So, what would happen according to conventional wisdon.

<> You know, I suspect that one reason that debt jubilees and the like <> are not spoken of now as compared with earlier periods might have <> something to do with the greater economic importance of debt. If debts <> are not central to the functioning of the real economy, they can be <> wiped away with little impact. Not so today. <> ___________________________________ <> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk <>