[lbo-talk] the Grundrisse and credit

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jan 19 07:47:57 PST 2012

Doug writes:

> A debt jubilee now would lead to total financial collapse.
> U.S. households alone hold $47 trillion in financial assets.
> Imagine what would happen if even 1/4 of those went poof.

Wait, you're talking about cancelling all assets? I thought we were talking about debt? Household debt was more like $11.5T as of 2Q11? Housing was $8.5T of that, so there's "only" about $3T of unsecured debt.

I still say what needs to happen is greater access to refinancing. That would also incur a hit to bank profits, but it ought to be more orderly -- and frankly, fair.

/jordan