[lbo-talk] Myth of Education and Its Political Implications

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 20 10:07:16 PST 2012

In this and subsequent posts I am going to try to develop a series of points in reference to the terrible human damage which results from thinking and practice which presuppose that "Education" is other than a meaningless and vicious ideological construct. Their coherence or potential coherence will depend partly on the ebb and flow of my physical energy each day, and how that ebb & flow affects my mental presence.

.1) It is a loose enough practice that for over a centiry people have found ways to 'get along' and 'get something' out of it. It incorporates a strong endoctrinating force but not an all-powerful one. Hence we can take it as point of departure as something to defend.

.1a I am aware of the academic 'movement' in a few universities a century ago (e.g. Dewey) to theorize the practice(s) characterizing this schooling. At the time the theorizing was harmless and even useful because of the political context. That, in the case of schooling was almost entirely local. Hence there was no possibility of compelling individual tearchers or localities to adapt their practice to an abstract theory . It wasn't a theory actually, for severala reasons, the main being my concern here: There was no OBJECT for the theory, since education is an ideological entirty, not an activity with an essence. (Most statements about Education are mere babble.

Thus schools or departments could send young people out to teach after having tried to indoctrinate them with the superstition called "Theory of Education," but when they went to work in a given warehouse they remained free to fit the loosely required activity to their own conditions. And it makes no sense to say that any one of them was a "good teacher" or a "bad teacher," because that implies that "Teaching" has an essence. It does not. One can not and definitely should not try to define "Good Teaching." The question, "What is good Teaching?" is literal nonsense.

.1b. Note, the phrase "The education of Sam" names something real, but if you try to relate that to the schooling, and refer to the education of children, you have again fallen into destructive babbling. If you saya "I got a good education in X at University U, you may well be saying something. If You say University U provides a good or a bad education in x, again you are drifting into destructive nonsense. I don't think clear thinking about u.s. universities is possible without first getting rid of the Ideology of Education.

More to come, I hope.

There is more to .1 than given here, but I will state the naked point .2

.2 This enforced schooling also employs millions of us. Under current conditions, the main question is one of class solidarity with these millions.

Carrol