[lbo-talk] Obama to reject Keystone

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 10:44:45 PST 2012

 As noted  by Marv Gandall the Obama administration has just postponed the project to avoid having to deal with it during the election. An alternative route will be developed and submitted for approval.  Whether it goes ahead or not is not at all crucial to the Tar Sands development. Developers will go ahead in any event using alternative means to transport the oil to the U.S. and at the same time developing Asian markets. A pipeline to the Pacific is also being mooted but there is opposition to that. The Harper government is firmly committed to developing the Tar Sands even more extensively and the global demand for oil is sufficient to ensure that no environmental lobbies will prevail against these developments in my opinion. The Liberals in Canada under Stefan Dion campaigned on a Green Shift and go nowhere. To be fair they also got nowhere when they abandoned that shift and opted for U.S. human rights prof. Michael Ignatieff. beloved of the

liberal elite kingmakers. The Liberals were always good on environmental rhetoric but poor on performance.

Cheers, ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:31:26 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Obama to reject Keystone

On Jan 18, 2012, at 5:27 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> On 2012-01-18, at 4:42 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> On Jan 18, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Somebody Somebody wrote:
>>
>>> Why has Keystone pipeline become such a cause célèbre for environmentalists and liberal groups? Is this principally a matter of opposing the development of oil sands exploration in Canada or is it a result of concern of spills by the pipeline in the U.S.?
>>
>> The first, I think.
>
> Both, and perhaps mostly related to domestic pressure from the conservative state of Nebraska.

That's an answer to why Obama is playing this game. Not to why enviros care. If they develop that shit, kiss the climate goodbye.