[lbo-talk] Jewish american paper urges assassination of president

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 22:54:20 PST 2012

This was all over the Hebrew and English language J-press starting Friday afternoon. I can't say I'm surprised. Every conceivable effort is being made to diminish Obama's allure to Jewish voters, from every quarter. It's typical of the poisonous Bibi-GOP election atmosphere.

Writing in Haaretz over the weekend, their new US correspondent Chemi Shalev compared this event to the incitement against Rabin in the mid-1990s. He didn't push it too hard (and he drew some incorrect conclusions about American Jewish animus against Obama,) but a lot can be made of that comparison.

Certainly, rightwing Israelis, and their foreign allies, would prefer if US Jewish politics were the same as Israeli Jewish politics. It would allow Bibi's government all kinds of leverage it doesn't have right now. The communities are vastly different, despite what idiots like the US Jewish newspaper editor said.

Joel