[lbo-talk] Capitalism and porn

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 11:15:34 PST 2012

But again as I already said - this is my conjecture. You do not have to buy it if you think it is unreasonable. The main reason I used it was to counter Joanna's statement that the argument in the paper implies bleakness of sex life. I countered by saying that it is porn-influenced expectations that changed, not necessarily the life itself. It is pretty much same mechanism that drives status consumption - at first it aspiration but then it becomes something to be expected in everyday life.

Actually, the article in the paper did not imply bleakness, it asserted it.

And, much as I want to blame capitalism for everything, something tells me that sex in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia is its own version of bleakness.

But beyond the shoddiness of the writing and thought in the article, I was just curious about the stats. Hearing that 25% of young men cannot achieve potency under normal circumstances seems really questionable to me.

Joanna