[lbo-talk] Capitalism and porn

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 12:06:19 PST 2012

So, if sex sucks :-) in the capitalist USA today, and the medieval societies of Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia, when and where has it not sucked? Was it better in the USA 50 or a 100 years ago? I guess the TruthOuter is arguing that yeah it was because men were dominant and had no psychological issues, they didn’t have such easy access to porn, women were pliant or what not, and didn’t have to compete with porn stars. At the same time, in the last 50 years, feminism and other developments have taught many men that hey the woman might just possibly get some pleasure out of this too. So perhaps women’s sexual lives have improved?

The piece doesn’t answer these questions well. So I am wondering what you and the rest think (not of the piece, but of the state of sex). My own view (as mentioned earlier) are rather pessimistic that this whole business was much better than bleak at any point in recent history (by which I mean the last 2000 years).

I think the argument in the article was nearly worthless about the relation between male dominance and good sex. I mean sex was pretty damn good in the sixties/seventies -- no fear of pregnancy or disease -- and a good amount of reciprocation between the sexes. I don't know much about the last twenty years though as single motherhood has yielded little data.

I was just much taken aback by the stats about impotence in young men. I mean, based on my own experience, I always thought that men under forty (at least) were always in a state of semi permanent erection.

J.