[lbo-talk] Ron Paul on the Civil War

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 23 12:10:34 PST 2012

No, liberty certainly didn't; but of course it was a struggle between empires. (A struggle in fact over the dismembered parts of the British empire - a real "war of British succession," so to speak, with the spoils including the present US control of the "Greater Middle East.")

But as emerged from the Historikerstreit in the 1980s, the gas chambers were the result of the Allies' refusal of an earlier armistice - and then the thoroughly immoral demand for "unconditional surrender." That of course in no way exculpates the German ruling class <http://harpers.org/archive/2011/05/0083402>. --CGE