[lbo-talk] How would democratic ownership and control move us towards serving human needs?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:41:43 PST 2012

[WS:] Well, when I take a train or a flight, or have a surgery, I do not expect democratic governance. In fact, I would avoid a railroad, an airline or a hospital in which every decision must be vetted by so collective ritual of democratic governance. In such circumstances the abdication of responsibility to some technical authority is not only seen as a problem but it seems as a natural thing. In organizational theory these are called "tightly coupled systems" - where well defined responsibilities and well defined chain of command is a requirement of effective performance.

I think that the problem of democratic governance is over-theorized to death by the anarchist types. I am reading Graeber's book on the anarchist movement, and in my view those guys seem to go waaay into the left field with their obsessive preoccupation with a "democratic process." In real life, most people have no problems abdicating their responsibility to others if situation warrants it, and - I may add, if that abdication is reciprocal. That is, today I abdicate my responsibility to you because I defer to your judgment on X, but I expect you to abdicate your responsibility to me when it comes to deciding Y, which is my forte.

I think this pre-occupation with the process comes from two sources. First is the influence of bourgeois concept of democracy as a formal process rather than substantive guarantees. Second is the lack of reciprocity in most current

institutional arrangements. That is, some classes of people have little or no voice and resent it by demanding a process that gives an absolute guarantee or no hierarchy whatsoever.

I think that in reality the problem can be easily solved by employing principles of reciprocity. Workers' councils making strategic decisions or deciding salaries and tenure of management would be an example. This is not that difficult to implement in an institution. And this micro-institutional level is what that matters the most - democracy at a national level is an abstraction and empty word most of time.

In short, the problem is not as insolvable as it seems. We do not need extraordinary measures to achieve a workable solution. In any case I need to run to catch my evening train, but I would be glad to continue this conversation.

Wojtek