[lbo-talk] Ron Paul on the Civil War

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 18:56:39 PST 2012

Doug

That's old news. But what's surprising is that Paul didn't even pay lip service to the end of slavery.

This seems to be the new normal. (I mean, I'm seeing screeds in mainstream publications about how plantations were good for blacks because they were able to be productive workers.)

And the question is, can you roll back the clock of black emancipation?

Looking at Germany pre WW II, the country in which European Jews enjoyed the greatest emancipation, I guess the answer is yes.

Can they do it here? I don't know. I am, however, astonished at what is now acceptable in public discourse.

Joanna