[lbo-talk] How would democratic ownership and control move us towards serving human needs?

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 23:00:41 PST 2012

The bourgeois state cannot be pro working class by definition.

Well, why stop there? What state has ever - by definition - been pro working class?

Once we recognize that the workers have never had a state, that the worker's state is a myth, we can come to terms to states in the real world. To wit - the economist Gregory Jackson found that:

"When controlling for company size and performance, German firms were 56 per cent as likely and Japanese firms only 32 per cent as likely as US firms to cut employment by 10 per cent or more in 2001."

Link: <http://www.business.illinois.edu/Aguilera/Teaching/ICC/Jackson_2005_CGIR_Germany_Japan.pdf>

Right, that's more than a decade ago, but any fair study of the evidence indicates the disparity continues. American companies cut jobs willy nilly while German companies use work sharing to cut hours before cutting jobs and Japanese corporations cling, however tentatively, to the lifetime employment system. The U.S., Germany, and Japan all have "bourgeois democratic" states if we want to be vulgar Marxist about it, but which is the most bourgeois of the three?

This is the point Wojtek is getting at. Really existing states are contested terrains of various classes and interest groups, just as the nominally Marxist regimes of the 20th century were.