[lbo-talk] Slavoj ®i¾ek . The Revolt of the Salaried Bourgeoisie: The Ne w Proletariat

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 15:23:17 PST 2012

ravi

"If I understand the technical term correctly, and I probably don’t, exploitation occurs when the value created by the labour is greater than the price paid to the labourer. Assuming that’s correct, one can, it seems to me, technically "measure" “how much” exploitation occurs and how successful a capitalist is in such exploitation. The more the producers of the gidget are able to extract in wages, the less successful the company is at exploitation."

But there's another dimension to it, isn't there?

What do you call it when the work you do is not work you want to do, nor is it work that is actually needed to advance humanity. Perhaps you get paid well for doing it.

I mean, a well-paid slave is still a slave.

Joanna