[lbo-talk] Who Has Apples at Work

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jan 26 09:56:56 PST 2012

On Jan 26, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/who-has-apples-at-work-more-likely-its-the-bosses/
>
> "Similarly, 41 percent of the respondents who identified themselves as
> “directors” at their companies said they used an Apple product for
> work. For self-identified “managers” and “workers,” the figures were
> 27 percent and 14 percent, respectively.”

The reason is likely that “directors" have more independence on choosing their platform. A slew of recent instances (Clorox, GE, Genentech, Google, etc) of relaxation of IT policy on choking users with Windows offers different statistics on what workers really prefer. I would even wager that if there weren’t artificial barriers, Windows would be relegated mostly to Powerpoint addicted upper level managers. Workers need to work. And for that you need Unix!

—ravi