[lbo-talk] not theory

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Thu Jan 26 21:27:09 PST 2012

shag: "As for the question: sure it makes sense. I mean, in the above set of thinkers, they all see theory and practice as related."

But what you said earlier was about how theory and *praxis* are related, not how theory and *practice* are related: "I was a student of what is called the "philosophy of praxis" - a tradition of scholarship that was absorbed with the questions: what is theory? what is praxis? what is the relationship between the two?" My only point was that if you were using "praxis" in Gramsci's sense [which I guess you weren't], it wouldn't make sense to ask what the relationship between theory and *praxis* is. But do any of these theorists use "praxis" as a synonym for "practice"?

I'd forgotten that Alison Jagger used the term "praxis." And I still have Brian Fay's Critical Social Science on my shelf--I remember it being really good. But I think I overdosed on theory for a while--I'm not usually tempted to pick those books up these days.

Carrol: I would also like to hear more about Ted Morgan's book (even its title would be helpful--I guess I could Google). Sorry also about your eyesight. I've got cataracts that keep getting worse, but I can only imagine how frustrating more serious eye problems would be.

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, *Dollars & Sense* 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org