[lbo-talk] Race to the Top Mark-2

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 12:18:37 PST 2012

Doug Henwood wrote:

>There's always the revenue side. When I was out in Riverside the other night, people were talking about how UC is recruiting students in China who'll pay through the nose. The administration swears this won't reduce access for California residents - apparently they just want to add rich Chinese to the mix. One faculty member said she ran into a horde of other U.S. university people also recruiting in China.
>
>Doug

Yes, that's happening in WA state too. The U of W is increasing out-of-state and international admissions and cutting out the in-state community college transfer students. For the U of W, it's a logical response to significant cuts in state funding, but it doesn't generate the kind of "efficiencies" that the Gates Foundation, Lumina, and Obama are advocating. They want colleges to produce more graduates at a lower cost. From the perspective of the higher ed "reformers", cranking up revenues by cherry-picking high tuition students is part of the problem.

Miles