[lbo-talk] Race to the Top Mark-2

Nathan n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:09:22 PST 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:45:18PM -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> > I think you're missing the dog whistle here. For the "colleges should be
> > run like a business" types, efficiency is just cost per student.
>
> There's always the revenue side. When I was out in Riverside the other night,
> people were talking about how UC is recruiting students in China who'll pay
> through the nose. The administration swears this won't reduce access

>From an acquaintance [sp?] I have in a college admissions dep't, this is a
common practice--actively recruiting students whose families will pay outright. My informant suggested that these tend to be wealthy kids not quite bright enough to make into a first-tier school.

In the case of California, I simply refuse to believe that putting "butts in the chairs", in this case, butts that don't qualify for state funding, is not completely motivated by the double-benefit of 1. not paying state $$$ 2. getting paid actual cash for the term. The point is obviously to reduce access for students who would get educated on the state's largess, i.e., those from California.

-- Nathan