[lbo-talk] not theory

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Sun Jan 29 23:22:29 PST 2012

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:51:52 -0500 From: shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> - for me: a tradition in the discipline that harkens back to Aristotelian understandings of practice as a way of life - what some might call habitus, others simply culture, etc. So, you might speak of the "norms and practices" involved in, say, the work of welders or lawyers. When I'm being more careful or when I think it matters to participants in the convo, I'll type "political practice" to signal that I recognize that some in the conversation of a commitment to a broader understanding of "practice" as a kind of everyday life practice as opposed to specific political practice. Not sure about Tahir's usage. *BTW, welcome back TW!

Ah that's sweet of you. Your point about habitus etc. is quite an interesting one, because much of that behaviour is unconscious or requires little conscious effort. That's precisely where theory comes in and why I call it formative in nature. Learning some theory (or philosophy or critique etc.) is the way in which you can reflect and change. I'm sure that being a leftist means being willing to change one's mind and shift behaviour in line with more 'advanced' thinking. Tahir