[lbo-talk] Labor Imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 30 12:09:13 PST 2012

For a short time I was an AFT member (due to some other merely nominal connection) during the Central-America wars. Their national newsletter contained articles on Nicaragua & El Salvador that would have made a WSJ editorial writer blush. We used to have a Shanker acolyte on this list -- I don't remember his name but his posts were notorious.

Carrol

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 1:57 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Labor Imperialism

On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Billy O'Connor wrote:

> Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Why would AFL-CIO engage in all that on
>> behalf of the USG? What is their payback?
>
> Cashy money.

Not just that. It's what's expected of junior partners. It assures that invitations to the White House will be forthcoming. And there's ideological affinity too. I recall a WSJ article from the late 1980s or early 1990s, during some serious labor unrest in S Korea, that quoted an AFL-CIO advisor on the scene as saying, "The problem with Korean unions is that they don't know how to control their rank and file." The AFL-CIO (remember when George H.W. slipped and said AFL-CIA?) has always been anti-communist, and you don't need to have communists around to be anti-communist.