[lbo-talk] Some Comforting Words from Rosa L.

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 17:17:13 PST 2012

Oh man, we can play the greatest hits from this genre all night.  Here's another fantastic one.

Paul Sweezy referred to this kind of thinking as "the present as history".  Here's my man Teddy Adorno giving his poetic spin:

"At the end. – The only philosophy which would still be accountable in the face of despair, would be the attempt to consider all things, as they would be portrayed from the standpoint of redemption. Cognition has no other light than that which shines from redemption out upon the world; all else exhausts itself in post-construction and remains a piece of technics. Perspectives must be produced which set the world beside itself, alienated from itself, revealing its cracks and fissures, as needy and distorted as it will one day lay there in the messianic light. To win such perspectives without caprice or violence, wholly by the feel for objects, this alone is what thinking is all about."

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/adorno/1951/mm/ch03.htm