[lbo-talk] Leave it in the ground.

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 7 09:18:42 PDT 2012

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/07/02/false-summit/ ... The problem we face is not that there is too little oil, but that there is too much. ... Industry and consumer capitalism, powered by abundant oil supplies, are more resilient than many of the natural systems they threaten. ... There is enough oil in the ground to deepfry the lot of us, and no obvious means by which we might prevail upon governments and industry to leave it in the ground. Twenty years of efforts to prevent climate breakdown through moral persuasion have failed, with the collapse of the multilateral process at Rio de Janeiro last month. The world’s most powerful nation is once again becoming an oil state, and if the political transformation of its northern neighbour is anything to go by (14,15), the results will not be pretty.

Humanity seems to be like the girl in Guillermo del Toro’s masterpiece Pan’s Labyrinth: she knows that if she eats the exquisite feast laid out in front of her, she too will be consumed, but she cannot help herself. I don’t like raising problems when I cannot see a solution. But right now I’m not sure how I can look my children in the eyes.

Here are a few tips about how to leave it in the ground:

http://home.earthlink.net/~durable/

Barry