[lbo-talk] [Marxism-Thaxis] absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living.

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 06:53:19 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Peggy Dobbins <pegdobbins at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> The task is not to go back to nature in a geodesic dome except to vacate and refresh to be about the work of human peace and justice
>
> I say 'work' to differentiate it from labor. Engels did this and so do european languages i know (eg oeuvre versus travail, obra versus tranbajo etc) My short hand definition of labor is 'bossed time for pay.' Being bossed is doing what another bids you do, whether you feel like it, want to, or approve, in exchange for whatever currency you need to exchange for what you use to keep on keeping on.
>
> The discipline of labor is a human good. Bucky Fuller enjoyed his work.
>
> I used to believe in the Ludens engine, that all created goods flow from play. And I still am on the side of thinking most does and increasing real freedom, free time which requires a modicum of economic security to feel free, is an absolute social good. But the discipline of labor, of forbearance and patience, of meeting the demands, expectations, needs of others as they see fit, not as I think best, of acquiring new skills and tools to do so, should not be lightly dismissed as onerous for our species

^^^^

CB: Definitely not a Marxist-Leninist idea (smiles). He is a sort of indigenous American intellectual like a Chomsky of the previous generation. Sort of an immanent cultural critique of American bourgeois ideology; "from within" criticism.

There is a Marxist idea that freedom is leisure time, and with developed technology, the necessary toil time per day can be vastly reduced such that we sing in the morning and party all evening or whatever. I'd say Fuller's emphasis on thinking and school is a nurdish version of fun.