[lbo-talk] "Obamanomics: The Final Nail In the DiscreditedKeynesian Coffin"

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 18:59:56 PDT 2012

On 7/18/2012 2:29 PM, Bryan Atinsky wrote:

> I agree, but except for the inflation piece, there wasn't much in the way of countering data.

What about this?

http://www.manifestoforeconomicsense.org/

Moreover past experience includes no relevant case where budget cuts have actually generated increased economic activity. The IMF has studied 173 cases of budget cuts in individual countries and found that the consistent result is economic contraction. In the handful of cases in which fiscal consolidation was followed by growth, the main channels were a currency depreciation against a strong world market, not a current possibility. The lesson of the IMF’s study is clear - budget cuts retard recovery. And that is what is happening now - the countries with the biggest budget cuts have experienced the biggest falls in output.

For the truth is, as we can now see, that budget cuts do not inspire business confidence. Companies will only invest when they can foresee enough customers with enough income to spend. Austerity discourages investment.

So there is massive evidence against the confidence argument; all the alleged evidence in favor of the doctrine has evaporated on closer examination.