[lbo-talk] civil dead

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 17:24:57 PDT 2012

Beginning last October California is implementing a new policy called realignment to deal with prison overcrowding. The idea is to send some people to county jail rather than prison, even if their sentences are longer than a year. There's a lot of unpredictability of course and no one really knows what's going on yet.

I noticed this interesting language today in a story about Orange County jails. The only other context I can think of where people would be described as "bodies" is when they are what Monty Python might call "ex-people."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/state-364541-county-officials.html

"There's no question there's a discrepancy in the number of bodies we've gotten (to) what they told us we were going to get," said Assistant Sheriff Mike James, who oversees custody operations. "We're trying to coordinate a meeting with (the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation) to discuss where this discrepancy is in the bodies."