[lbo-talk] Gunman kills 12 in Denver shooting at "Batman" movie

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:16:53 PDT 2012

Jordan: "It's always an individual choice."

[WS:] It certainly is, it is just that I am not willing to make that choice. In my mind, if one makes a decision to carry a lethal weapon for self protection, one must be prepared to kill a person. Not realizing this is fooling oneself. And I am simply not willing to make this decision for a number of reasons. Suffice it to say that one rarely faces a clear-cut situation in which any reasonably person would shoot the perp without thinking twice (e.g. Breijvik). Even in the Homes case it is anything but clear - there were numerous reports of people thinking it was a part of the show, the place was dim lit and crowded, Holmes was wearing a bullet proof vest, there was confusion - in a word, not a good situation to make a life and death decision in the matter of a second. In the hindsight it looks like a good decision, but then every hindsight is 20/20. it is very much different when one has to make that decision as the situation is unraveling, when there is a great deal of confusion and uncertainty.

In such a situation, I personally would not like to make an irreversible decision that I may (or may not) regret for the rest of my life - especially that i have natural aversion to killing (except mosquitoes and flies ;).

-- Wojtek