[lbo-talk] god forbid a first responder

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:44:50 PDT 2012

> A police state is not only run *by* the police; to
> a very great degree it's run *for* the police.

Except when it comes to their pensions.

Doug

^^^^^^^ CB: Detroit police got hammered in the below. Governor forced the Mayor to impose wage and benefit cuts ,and work rule reductions on them and firefighters.

Detroit mayor imposes worker benefit, pay cuts

"If Bing is interested in attracting new business to Detroit as a way to boost its economy, the cuts to public safety officers from the fire and police departments is particularly wrong-headed, said Dan McNamara, president of the Detroit firefighters union.

Response time to fires in the city will continue to deteriorate said McNamara,as the city shuts 15 of its 66 fire companies as part of the cost-cutting proposals.

"I wonder how the insurance companies are going to respond to this," said McNamara. "How are these businesses in Detroit going to react when insurance companies raise their fire insurance through the roof?"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-18/news/sns-rt-us-detroit-cutsbre86h145-20120718_1_detroit-mayor-city-workers-healthcare-benefit-cuts