[lbo-talk] Some quotes on Syria

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:38:37 PDT 2012

DRR: "I don't blame ordinary Syrians for picking up guns to defend themselves against a monstrous regime, but in the long-term, hope lies in the unarmed protesters who continue to defy the regime's thugs and march in Syria's streets."

[WS:] Make no mistake, my sympathies are with the protesters, not with their butchers. But that does not mean that there are no some very unsavory forces behind them, who no doubt will try to grab power as soon as Assad's government falls. It has been a tragedy of many mass movements - and what makes it even more tragic today that there are no institutional progressive forces (an equivalent of the old CP if you will) on which protest movements can rely to run the state.

And also do not forget that today's butchers started as progressive forces some 50 years ago.

-- Wojtek