[lbo-talk] Wahooo! NY Mets' Santana -- 1st No-Hitter inMetshistory!

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 2 00:16:53 PDT 2012

Jordan wrote:

# "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky"

That's a great story. You led me to Snopes with that, where I found an entry on the Gaylord Perry story. It's classified "undetermined":

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/perry.asp

[...]

Much as we'd like to push this one across the finish line, this account doesn't quite get us there. It adds yet another year to the equation (1962, when Perry hadn't yet had a chance to demonstrate how well or poorly he could hit in the major leagues) and makes Alvin Dark sound curiously vague about his prediction (i.e., Dark doesn't say so much that he remembers making the remark as he does that he recalls reading about it in the newspaper after Perry finally hit a home run). Maybe this tale is true, and the memories of the participants, as often happens, have become fuzzy over time. Or maybe, as also often happens, this tale was made up after the fact, but it's such a good story that the participants now remember it as something that really happened.

Last updated: 20 July 2005