[lbo-talk] Of flying cars and the declining rate of profit

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 4 20:07:22 PDT 2012

On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:54 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Another great essay by Graeber
>
> http://www.thebaffler.com/past/of_flying_cars/print

This captures my beef with Graeber - his hostility to economics:

"With results like these, what will the epitaph for neoliberalism look like? I think historians will conclude it was a form of capitalism that systematically prioritized political imperatives over economic ones. Given a choice between a course of action that would make capitalism seem the only possible economic system, and one that would transform capitalism into a viable, long-term economic system, neoliberalism chooses the former every time. "

That's just not true. "Neoliberalism" used the power of the state, among other things, to raise profits and upper class incomes. It's been very very successful on its own terms. To say otherwise is strange. But he also thinks Bush invaded Iraq to derail the antiglobo movement.

Doug