[lbo-talk] Of flying cars and the declining rate of profit

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:23:20 PDT 2012

[WS:] I have mixed feelings about Graeber's book on debt. It reminds me, in a way, of a cab driver picking a fare at the JFK Airport and promising a ride to the financial district but instead taking him on a grand tour of Far Rockaway, Jamaica, Brooklyn, Queens, Uptown, Chelsea, Lower East Side and then dropping him off in Chinatown and saying "you can walk to Wall street from here." Not that the ride was not colorful and interesting - and generally worth taking - but it often makes the rider wonder "why the fuck are we here?"

Having said that, however, I think his take on neoclassical economics is right on target. He portrays it as a form of social engineering that is legitimated by 18th century fairy tales that are oblivious to the way humans conducted economic exchanges, and which does serious damage to the social fabric surrounding those exchanges. Not exactly a novel idea - institutional/social economists have been arguing that since Veblen if not earlier, but unlike Veblen, Graeber quotes a wealth of anthropological research.

BTW. The inspiration to my new sig line comes directly from Graeber's book on debt.

-- Wojtek