[lbo-talk] Smart about smartphones?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Jun 5 19:06:49 PDT 2012

At 12:53 PM -0700 4/6/12, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>I don't understand this need for a cell phone. If somebody wants to talk to
>me, and very few do, they can call me on the ancient land line. It
>costs 15.00/mon.
>Internet charges are about 20.00 which includes enough band to
>play movies and live news from AJE, RT, and France 24.
>
>When I had a teenager at home twenty years ago, if he wanted to talk
>to a friend, he called them on the phone or went over to their place
>on his bike.
>
>I used to write my stepfather in Toyko and mail it. A few weeks
>later I got a letter in answer. It was a pretty damned nice
>relationship that kept us friends for forty years.
>
>The one thing I will celebrate is the computer with a good b/w laser
>printer and internet connect.
>
>What am I missing here?

Nothing. Mobile phones are just toys, they have little or no practical use. That's why smart phones are so popular, much better interface for playing games. But I think ipods are just as good for that purpose. Drawback is that ipods don't match iphones as status symbols.

Speaking of useless, what's that facebook thing all about? I've had a facebook account for years and still can't figure out what people see in it. At least it is free, unlike mobile phones, so I was willing to try it.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas